Monday, October 13, 2008

Chapter Six: Course Planning and Syllabus Design

This chapter is the planning stages of a language program.
The ten different syllabuses offer ideas for teachers in the language program.
I could not identify with some of the syllabuses listed because they are aimed at teaching in the university and high school levels. In the Text-Based syllabus, the material follows or uses the textbooks as guides and/or sole material. I cannot see myself teaching using only a textbook. My class might seem so dry. I remember some of the classes I took in the past when we used only the textbooks. That class, I dreaded the most because it was so dry. There were no other “fun” activities involved in them. The other syllabus I couldn’t understand is the Integrated Syllabus. There were only two paragraphs describing the syllabus.

The one syllabus I liked was the competency-based syllabus. This syllabus would be helpful for language learners in Yugtun. It’s practical and not so dry. The activities would not be so dry and there would be a variety of activities that would help my students to learn the Yugtun Language. Also, the Task-Based syllabus would be really good for our language learners because there are a lot of hands-on activities for the students. Hands-on activities help learners to learn the most because they learn by doing. Yup’ik people are a hands-on culture. We learn by doing things. This syllabus would work best of our Yup’ik Language learners.

No comments: